What Is a Church Community?

The video player could not be built.

Do you want to chat with a missionary?

We are happy to answer any questions you may have. Start a chat or call us at 1-888-537-6600.

Hi I'm Scott

I was born in 1945, in Nampa, Idaho, to very active members of the church.

About Me

I knew that the Church was the true when my grandmother read to me from the children's version of the Book of Mormon. Occupation: Semi-retired and operating a small two person consulting business. I lived in the Nampa for fifty-one years. My work and education has taken me and my family to Pocatello for thirteen years. I volunteered for a Mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS) and was assigned to Southern California and all of Arizona for two years in 1966. My wife and I moved our five children to Northern Virginia to initiate my consulting business in Washington D. C. in 1986. My wife (Nanette) and I have five children and eighteen grandchildren. Two of our children live in Nampa. One works for Gentle Dental and the other operates his own lawn mower and landscape business - Green Blades. Our daughter lives in Frisco, Texas, where her husband works in JC Penny’s corporate Headquarters. Our oldest son is also a dentist and lives in Superior Colorado. Our final son is the CEO of a Physical Therapist company in Pocatello, Idaho.

Why I am a Mormon

In the mid sixties everyone who had a garage tried organize a Rock and Roll Band. My life was no different. However,while playing my best rock beat my senior year, blood began backing into my lunges. I was experiencing heart failure. It was my last dance for two years. I wait for open-heart surgery. The surgery was preceded by another priesthood blessing given me by Franklin D. Richards, an Assistant to the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. Elder Richards was presiding at our Nampa Stake Conference, and my parents asked him to administer to me. Elder Richards said everything in the blessing that I wanted to hear, like I would be “healed from the top of my head to the tips of my feet” and that I would “live a long life and be able to serve a mission, if I followed the advice of my parents and doctors.” The ending was a letdown since I was hoping he would say “hocus pocus new heart valve”. I immediately relaxed about have the surgery not caring how Heavenly Father was going to take care of me as long as I had the faith in the restored priesthood power that He would. Following graduation, I was immediately scheduled behind a young 21 year old father who was had one child and one on the way. The fact that we had the same blood type made it possible for me to get right in for surgery. The surgeon operated 8 hours on him and then 8 hours on me. He did not survive the surgery. I've always lamented that he did not have a priesthood blessing also. Even though my sophomore year at Idaho State University (ISU) was a fun year to be able to play with The Fabulous Chancellors, the thing that made it the best year ever was meeting and dating Nanette Bunce, from Filer, Idaho. While serving a mission for the Church in Southern California, she turned down several opportunities to get married, so to my delight in 1968 we got married in the Idaho Falls Temple. Without the two year delay I never would have met Nanette.

How I live my faith

As the Executive Director of three different organizations, I have demonstrated resourcefulness by raising over $680,000 for the Nampa Family Shelter Coalition; acquiring 450,000 books worth $6.1 million in value for low-income children for the Treasure Valley Reading Foundation; and reducing the Idaho Department of Employment by 350 full-time employees from 1,000 with no layoffs. I have both extensive public speaking and grant writing experience with over $20 million in funds awarded via grants. Sometimes Heavenly Father is willing to give us small trials to build our faith so we can be ready for bigger and more life changing trials that he intends to shape our lives. At age 10, I had one of those small trials in the form of two types of strep throat. It went down my esophagus, inflamed the heart sack, and made swallowing my own saliva impossible. To say the least, I was a very miserable young boy. My older brother Jay had just returned from a mission in Mexico for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He and my father offered to give me a priesthood blessing which I was very grateful to have. My father anointed me; my brother blessed me. He commanded the pain to stop immediately. The pain stopped as if my brother was a musical conductor, and on the down-beat of his pronouncing the word “immediately”, the pain I was suffering with ceased. The relief was such a stark contrast to the pain that I was able to go to sleep. The next day, the internal specialist made a house call. The doctor’s diagnosis was that I had such an advanced case of pericarditis (inflamed heat sack), that he wondered how I had stood the pain. I was quickly put into the hospital, and medications started to bring about the healing that my brother had promised me in the blessing. My Heavenly Father had taken care of the pain in such a dramatic way that my faith in the power of the priesthood grew by leaps and bounds.