What Is a Church Community?

The video player could not be built.

Do you want to chat with a missionary?

We are happy to answer any questions you may have. Start a chat or call us at 1-888-537-6600.

Hi I'm Joseph

I have lived all my life in Idaho. I am a brain tumor survivor. I'm a Mormon.

About Me

I live in Idaho. I am about to go on a mission, and am excited to bring others into the gospel. I am an Eagle Scout. For a few years, I worked at a scout camp as a camp counselor, teaching 11 to 17 year-olds. I love to read. My favorite genre is fantasy. I have a collection of about 300 books.

Why I am a Mormon

Halfway through the year 2007, I began having seizures. These seizures paralyzed me, made it so I couldn't hear, but I could see. At the beginning, I had no idea what was happening. I became paralyzed. My whole body was tingly, and my head tilted back. I sat frozen in that position for a few seconds. It wasn't long, but it was long enough for me to be scared. I felt a peace come upon me, and I knew everything was going to be alright. The spirit whispered to me that, in the coming months, I would have trials, but that, in the end, they would be a blessing of growth. In January 2008, Mom told the doctor that I needed an MRI. The doctor agreed. The technician handed Mom the phone because the doctor wanted to speak with her right away. He told her that I had a tumor in my brain. She started crying. I asked her what was wrong, and she said, "Joey. You have a tumor." I said, "I know." She looked at me, bewildered, and asked, "How long have you known?" I said, "A while." She asked why I hadn't told anyone, and I said that it wasn't time. I told her that the Holy Ghost told me that everything would be ok. So we headed to St. Lukes in Boise, where we talked to a Neurologist. We set up an appointment for surgery the next Monday. We went in around noon, and everything was prepped. They gave me an anesthetic, and told me to count to ten. At three, I fell asleep. The neurosurgeon got started right away. He performed the surgery successfully pulling out a tumor the size of a golf ball, and 2 cysts that surrounded the tumor, making it about the size of a baseball. I woke up the next morning at 1 am in ICU. I had little to no pain, which surprised the nurses, and, other than a little weakness, I was physically fine. In the morning, I could walk, speak, and smile. Only two days later, I was discharged from the hospital. The next week I went back to school. I have faith that we were guided through these trials, and that my surgeon's hand was blessed with precision and accuracy.

How I live my faith

I am about to go on a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. As a missionary, I will travel around, teaching those who are willing to listen.