What Is a Church Community?

The video player could not be built.

Do you want to chat with a missionary?

We are happy to answer any questions you may have. Start a chat or call us at 1-888-537-6600.

Hi I'm Dane

I have three boys, a beautiful wife, I own a golf ball business, and I'm a Mormon.

About Me

I own a golf ball business, but I am not a golfer. In fact, I have never bought a dozen golf balls at a retail location. When I buy golf balls, I do it one sea container at a time - 15,000 dozen! Much like most things in life, I got into the golf business through a series of unusual circumstances. Some might call them coincidences, but I believe that they are better classified as divine guidance. Whatever the case, I could not be happier in my career. However, while many individuals define themselves by their career, my career is not the most important part of my life. I have a beautiful wife and three boys and I want nothing more than to have a successful family. I want to have a loving and lasting relationship with my wife, and I want my three boys to grow up to be righteous individuals and responsible citizens.

Why I am a Mormon

Christ said, "By their fruits ye shall know them." The fruits of the Church of Jesus Christ have kept me in the church since my infancy. While every family has its share of trials, the teachings of the church give my family the guiding principles to get us through. They provide purpose and meaning. They inspire me to be a better husband and father and give me the tools to do so. They give me direction. Beside the fruits that I see in my own life, I have seen so many lives positively influenced by the gospel. As a missionary, I had the experience of teaching a number of individuals about the church and the gospel. I watched on with awe as individuals who had lived a life of darkness and despair began to see the world in a different way. I saw darkness and despair fade away into light and hope. Furthermore, the church does so much good in the world from feeding the hungry to rebuilding after a tsunami. It does not matter when or where disaster strikes, the members of the Church of Jesus Christ are among the most significant contributors to relief efforts. Despite all of the fruits of the Church, the greatest testimony lies in the Holy Spirit. Like Christ said to Peter, "Flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father who art in heaven." I know that this is His church because I have asked God in sincere prayer if it is true and I received a clear and precise answer.

How I live my faith

The most important part of living my faith is the decisions I make each day. Integrity, service, and honesty are my guiding principles. I treat others with respect and love, and I follow Christ's example. With respect to formal service in the church, we as members all give service. There is no paid clergy, so we all contribute in the ways that God asks. Currently, I serve as a financial clerk. I am the equivalent of a staff accountant in the business world. I spend an hour or two each week paying bills and recording donations. Apart from my formal position in the church, my greatest love, and the greatest service I can give is to teach others about the gospel. I have found so much joy and happiness through gospel teachings that I want to share them with the world. I am convinced that no matter who you are, if you believe in and follow the teachings of the Church of Jesus Christ, 90% of your problems will go away and you will be able to greet the other 10% with courage and faith.

Do Mormons practice polygamy?

Mormons do not practice polygamy. From time to time, the Lord has commanded individuals such as Abraham to do so and in the 1800's there were members of the church who were so commanded. In the late 1800's, the congress of the United States passed legislation against the practice of polygamy and as law abiding citizens, it has not been practiced in the church since then. Perhaps the tougher question to answer is why the Lord commanded Abraham, Issac, or anyone else to take more than one wife. I can't claim to know the mind of the Lord or His reasons for commanding it, and luckily I will never have to find out! One is good enough for me. Show more Show less